So your big day is almost here. Your dream dress is ordered, and you’ve picked out your veil and headpiece to match. Now, you have the fun task of picking your wedding jewelry and accessories!
Just like the dress, there are so many options when it comes to wedding day jewelry that it can sometimes be overwhelming. In order to make this a stress-free, fun task, we’ve created a list of ten essential things to keep in mind when selecting your wedding dress jewelry:
1. Consider the Neckline of Your Dress
The neckline of your wedding dress is one of the most important things to take into consideration when picking out your wedding day jewelry. The jewelry you choose, whether it be a necklace, earrings or bracelets, should complement the neckline of your dress.
Necklaces should rarely overlap or touch your dress, so think about the length of the necklace you’ll need for your particular neckline style. Also, if there are any intricate details on your dress, especially around the bust area or neckline, your jewelry should aim to enhance rather than distract from the adornments. Here are a few popular wedding dress necklines and the jewelry types that will best flatter each:
- Strapless – Strapless wedding dresses are one of the most popular styles that brides choose. With this type of neckline, you have a decent amount of exposed skin to work with, so there are quite a few options when it comes to jewelry for strapless dresses.Common necklace options for this neckline are elegant yet bold pieces. Choose something that has sparkly diamonds covering the entire necklace, but make sure the length of the necklace lies halfway between the neckline and your collarbone or above. Otherwise, if the necklace is too long, it could end up looking unbalanced. Pair this sparkly necklace with a pair of simple diamond drop earrings so you don’t overwhelm with your jewelry selection.
- Sweetheart – Sweetheart necklines are a classic, elegant style that’s perfect for a wedding dress. Whether you are well endowed or have a small bust, sweetheart necklines accentuate your curves to show a little bit of skin without making you feel overexposed.When picking jewelry for a sweetheart neckline, it’s best to choose something simple that will highlight this flattering cut. A beautiful drop necklace with a dangly pear shaped diamond surrounded by a few marquise cut diamonds on either side will give your sweetheart neckline just a little something extra. Add matching pear shaped diamond earrings to complete the look.
- Halter – Halter style necklines tend to take up quite a bit of space on your neck, so wearing a necklace might be difficult with this style. If you opt to skip the necklace altogether, frame your face with a pair of chandelier earrings. And, since there won’t be any sparkle around your neck, this is the perfect opportunity to wear a diamond or pearl bracelet to add some extra flair to your wedding attire.
- Straight – Straight necklines are a simple, classic wedding dress option. Dress up this simple neckline with a larger statement necklace that adds a little glitz to your dress. If you’re going big with your necklace, match it with understated diamond or pearl stud earrings.
- V-neck – Wedding dresses with a V-neck neckline can be a classy and more formal option. A simple pendant necklace with a single gemstone will look great paired with a deep V. Pendant necklaces create a sort of V shape on your neckline by hanging from your neck, and this matching shape is a fantastic way to showcase this elegant neckline while not distracting from it. Pair it with some short, dangly earrings to bring added sparkle to your ears as well.
2. Coordinate With Your Dress Color
Of course you’re thinking that your wedding dress is white just like every other wedding dress out there. While yes, that may technically be true, there are actually dozens, if not hundreds, of different shades of white when it comes to wedding dresses! Some of those shade variations may end up clashing with the metal colors you choose for your wedding jewelry. Here are a few wedding dress colors and the best metal colors to go with them:
- Bright white – A true white dress can be one of the most difficult colors for brides to wear. The starkness of this pure white can wash out the majority of fair to medium skin toned brides. It does, however, tend to work well on those with darker skin tones who can contrast the bright shade. If your wedding dress is true bright white, stick with very light colored metals like platinum and pearl. Stay away from gold hues as it will likely clash with bright white.
- Champagne white – If you know you want a bright white dress, but pure white just doesn’t seem to work well with your skin tone, then champagne white is another stunning light white option. Champagne white is a few shades darker than bright white, and it can be a little easier to wear. When wearing a champagne white dress, brides look like they’re wearing bright white, but because the color is just a little off-white, it’s less prone to washing you out. Champagne white looks good with just about any metal color. Feel free to experiment with rose gold or stay classic with yellow or white gold hues.
- Ivory – Ivory happens to be the most universally flattering shade for brides to wear. However, even amongst ivory whites, there is quite a bit of variation in the coloring. Some have warm, cream colored undertones, while others can have a slight pink undertone. Try sticking with metal colors that complement the undertones of the ivory shade in your dress. Yellow or cream undertones will pair nicely with yellow gold, and pink undertones will look fantastic with rose or white gold.
- Candlelight – Candlelight white is on the darker side of the ivory spectrum. The color refers to the fact that it appears white under candlelight, and is a great pick for an evening or sunset wedding. Yellow and white gold will accompany candlelight dress colors marvelously as it tends to take on a more yellow undertone.
- Ecru – If you’re looking for a less traditional wedding dress color, Ecru is an excellent option. Ecru is the deepest shade of ivory and it can sometimes even look beige. The name Ecru comes from the raw color of linen before it’s bleached. This dark ivory tone will most certainly look best paired with yellow or white gold.
3. Complement the Style of Your Dress
There are many things that can go into shaping the style and overall look of your dress. Certain fabrics are used to create a particular style along with dress shapes and added embellishments. Remember, your wedding dress jewelry is there to enhance the look of your dress, not distract from it. Consider the style of your dress when choosing jewelry to match it:
- Simple and classic – Silk, chiffon and organza are all fabric types that are suggestive of classic wedding dress styles. These fabrics are often gorgeous enough on their own, so you can skip adding rhinestones and embellishments if you choose and still create an elegant feel. If your wedding dress style is leaning toward the simple end of the spectrum, keep your wedding jewelry simple as well. Pearls are a classic jewelry choice, as well as beautiful diamond pedants.
- Sparkle and glamour – Tulle ball gowns, crystal embellishments and lots of bling come to mind when thinking about wedding dress styles with glitz and glamour. If your wedding dress already has lots of sparkle, offset it with toned down jewelry to really make your dress standout even more. Simple drop earrings and an understated necklace may be all you need for an ornate dress. On the other hand, if you’re looking to add extra sparkle to a somewhat simple dress, then choose statement jewelry like a chunky diamond necklace or chandelier earrings to bring that extra glam.
- Romantic lace – Lace on wedding dresses gives it a romantic, vintage feel. Pair lace dresses with vintage inspired wedding jewelry like pearl and diamond combinations or floral shaped gemstones. Jeweled hair pins also add vintage style and look great with soft, romantic up-dos.
4. Choose Matching Gems
The gems you choose for your wedding dress jewelry should all match in some way. If you choose blush-colored pearls for earrings, then incorporate blush-colored pearls somewhere in your necklace too. The same goes for diamonds and crystals as well. In order to look stylish and sophisticated, choose gemstones that match in either color or shape for whatever pieces you choose to wear. To further perfect the look, your metals should all harmonize too. Choose one metal color, whether it be yellow gold, platinum or silver, and carry that metal through all of your accessory pieces.
5. Think About Your Something Blue
The jewelry you choose for your wedding day could also be used as your “something blue” good luck charm depending on thet colors you choose. Blue sapphires are gorgeous options for wedding jewelry, and they look great in necklaces, earrings and even bracelets. The dark sapphire blue complements almost any shade of white and will be an elegant addition to your accessories. Other blue gemstones to consider include blue topaz, aquamarine and turquoise.
6. Sometimes Less Really Is More
On your wedding day, it can be easy to go a little overboard with jewelry and accessories. There are so many gorgeous pieces to wear that it’s no surprise you want to drape yourself in all of them! However, sometimes less is more when it comes to jewelry. Try picking one or two essential pieces so you don’t end up looking overdone. Remember, this is about you, and you want everyone looking at you — not getting distracted by your accessories.
7. Stay Authentic to Your Personality
When it comes to choosing your wedding day style, you want to remain true to your own personality. Looking like the best possible version of yourself on your big day will help you feel comfortable and at ease in those big moments so you can truly enjoy the day. Everything from your dress to your hairstyle to your jewelry should complement your own unique personality so you still feel like yourself, only better!
8. Don’t Forget About Your Bridesmaids
Many brides give their bridesmaids a thank you gift for being part of their special day. Personalized jewelry is a fantastic option for a thank you gift. Not only is it super nice and special, but they can wear it to your wedding as well. Plus, the gift of jewelry doesn’t just stop at the wedding, it’s something they can cherish and appreciate for years to come. To make it even more special, choose custom made jewelry that matches each of their bridesmaid dress colors and necklines. Go for dainty pieces, as sometimes statement jewelry can end up overtaking the entire outfit.
9. Pick Timeless Pieces
We’ve all looked at wedding pictures from certain couples who got married in the 80’s or 90’s and thought to ourselves, “What on earth were they thinking?”
To avoid the same feeling when looking back at your own wedding pictures in 20 or 30 years, it’s important to pick jewelry pieces that are timeless. We’re not saying avoid trends altogether on your wedding day. However, try sticking to jewelry that is stylish yet tasteful rather than gaudy and flashy. Small, delicate pieces tend to stand the test of time very well. If you have any jewelry that has sentimental value to you, your wedding day is the perfect occasion to wear that special piece.
10. Try It On
Choosing the perfect wedding jewelry to complement your dress can be difficult if you haven’t seen the jewelry in person. Certain styles and colors may look good on the models online, but you really have no idea how it will actually look on you until you see it for yourself. We get it. Everyone has different skin tones, body shapes and even different styles that fit them. When it comes to purchasing your wedding jewelry, try it on in person before jumping head first into making the commitment. If you can, it will be extremely helpful to wear a top that has a similar neckline as your wedding dress to your jewelry shopping excursion. This will help you to know exactly how a certain necklace will lay on your neck, and you’ll get a better sense of the overall look the jewelry will have on your attire.
Stop by Mountz Jewelers today and let our wedding jewelry experts guide you in finding the perfect jewelry for your wedding dress or bridesmaids gifts. Mountz Jewelers has a large selection of wedding jewelry to fit all styles and wedding dress types. Whether you’re looking for something simple and classic, or bold and daring, we have what you’re looking for. Come to one of our three locations and let us make your wedding jewelry dreams come true.